Love is a beautiful thing, and there’s nothing more amazing than feeling the bond you share with your partner get stronger. If you’re in a happy relationship, you can keep it that way by introducing a few new things into your relationship. Here are 6 evidence-based approaches that will help you enjoy a more fulfilling connection.
- Listen- Listening is a great way to boost intimacy. Make a sincere effort to always listen to your partner, especially when they’re talking about something that relates to your relationship. Listen to understand what they’re saying not just to give a response. This helps your partner feel like you value the relationship and care about them deeply.
- Appreciate your partner- Think about something your partner does that makes your life easier, especially something you view as their responsibility, such as paying their share of the bills. Thank them sincerely for it. This might feel weird since it’s something they should do anyway, but it makes them feel good and your relationship more satisfying. So take 5 minutes to say something like ‘I appreciate you for working hard so you can afford to help pay the bills’ and watch out for the huge smile on their face afterwards. It’s too easy to take someone for granted,and to only notice what bothers you.
- Schedule quiet time– In today’s world it’s incredibly hard to focus on one thing. At least once a week, turn off all electronic devices and spend some time with each other. You might participate in an activity you both enjoy. You could watch your favorite movie, massage each other, play a board game. Or you could just take a walk and talk about whatever is on your mind. And listen. You may find out about how you experience the same thing differently. It’s a way of continuing to get to know each other.
- Acts of kindness – Do things that will make your partner feel important and loved. It can be as simple as making their favorite breakfast, creating a playlist , touching them as you walk by, or sending them a note. Research shows that these little ways of showing affection accumulate and have a bigger impact on couple happiness than infrequent grand gestures.
- Show empathy- Always take your partner’s feelings seriously, even when you feel like they’re irrational, or when you disagree. When you find it difficult to empathize, take a deep breath and try to get to know more clearly what they are expressing. Easy as this sounds, it can feel almost impossible. That may be when it’s most important..
- Communicate healthily- Communication is key. Good communication skills help your relationship thrive. This means, asking your partner what they need, and telling them what you need as well. Check in with them regularly, and try to open up to them regularly. Remember that feelings are almost never a matter of right and wrong, although the way there expressed may be constructive or not.
If you would like to improve your relationship and strengthen the bond between you and your partner, feel free to give me a call and we can talk about how to help you get out of stuck places to revive your love and connection.